Sunday, August 30, 2009

Growing so fast



Our girls seem to be growing and learning at such a rapid pace. I love it and hate it. I get so excited for all the new things they discover and do, but I know my babies are getting farther and farther away from being just that. (Above: playing in the dirt in the walkway to our backyard).



Vanessa grows closer and closer to "big kid-hood" every day. She will be starting preschool this week (her orientation tea party is Tuesday, and first day is Thursday), and we just got her notepad and princess backpack (be assured I will take pictures!). She is so anxious to go and learn and do something older kids get to do. I'm excited for her, but am suffering attachment issues! I think she'll really be so happy, it'll be worth it.



Vanessa also has a burning desire to be motherly. She can often be helpful and loving with Nicole. She also likes to "discipline" Nicole, telling her what she should and shouldn't be doing. We have to remind her whose job it really is. Still, you can tell she's reaching an age where she really pays attention to those things. It's both neat and quite aggravating at the same time!



Lastly, Vanessa has taken an interest in learning and helping more around the house. She got to help me cook dinner the other night and we agreed it would be fun to do weekly. She tidies up after herself, and even "starts the process" at bedtime (she gets her and Nicole's toothbrushes ready, and helps with bedtime prep like turning on Nicole's oxygen). She has also shown a little interest in piano, and though I profess no skill in playing or teaching, I showed her "Hot Cross Buns," and now she finds the notes and plays it through! She is so proud of her accomplishment.



Nicole is becoming quite a social girl. She still is initially shy when meeting new people, but now it doesn't take her too long to pipe up and say, "I'm Niccoli," then introduce our family. She has warmed up quickly to nursery in our new ward, and even introduced me to her friend, Aaron. They split the 2 nursery classes by age and I think getting to be an older kid in a younger class feels pretty special to her, especially being a young sister.



Niccoli also is very fiesty and really wants to do things independently. I suspect when I tell people this, they think, "Doesn't that describe every 2-year-old?" Yet when they really see her in her "natural environment" they quickly see she has an added portion of attitude! As frustrating as it can be sometimes, whe often find ourselves fighting a smile or a laugh, because her responses to things can be so dramatic. Even when it is about things like Mommy and Daddy hugging, or some kid sitting too close to her.



Lastly, Nicole has really been interested in pretend play and mimicking. She likes to cook meals for us in her little kitchen, and thinks it's fun when we give her pretend books and other pretend things to play with. They're almost more exciting than the real deal. I even gave her a pretend He-Man band-aid when she bonked her knee, and it cheered her right up. She also loves to sing along when I sing to her. Now when we snuggle at night, she'll chime in whenever possible, even with her binky in. What makes it fun is she actually knows most of the words now, too.

7 comments:

Mollie said...

LOVE all the pictures! Thanks for the fun update, Lis! Miss you guys like crazy!

P.S. Heard about the park with "no real animals!" Mom, Mark, and I split a rib on that one...so cute!

Papa said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing so many details about the girls - we really miss all of you (or as they probably say it in Texas, ya'll). In the first photo, I was hoping that was not your back yard - glad to hear it is just the walkway to the yard.Wonderful photos of the girls with their princess dresses and with daddy (a little scruffy are we?). Glad to see the blog being updated regularly again.

The Jones :) said...

They are so cute...I miss you guys already and wish we would've taken more advantage of you being close. Keep the posts coming, and good luck this week with preschool!! Thinking of you guys!!

Kristie said...

Matt cut his hair! Wow, it looks different.
I love the cute girls! Thanks for the updates.
We had dinner last night with our neighbors, and when Adam asked me what time, I said 5:30 with the Browns. Whoops, the neighbors are the Youngs. I guess I really do miss you guys!
Have fun and thanks for sharing!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

What a cute little update. Sam is starting preschool for 3 year olds on Tues/Thurs too. He's not to sure yet, but I think he'll have a lot of fun there. Glad to hear all your news.

tia said...

The best part for me about your girls growing up is that they can hold a conversation on the phone. It may be short and/or unintelligle, but I get to hear their sweet voices. Thanks for the update and pictures!

Mom B. said...

Great post, I love all the details about the girls. Lisa, you really captured their true personalities! They really are growing up fast, and it will go even faster as time goes on!

Matt, love the haircut, and love the pictures of the girls with you! Such a good daddy!!!