Thursday, May 20, 2010

Nicole turns 3!

Yesterday was Nicole's birthday, and since we did joint presents (backyard toys) for our girls this year, we thought the best way to celebrate the actual day was to just spend all day doing what she wanted to do.

Here were Nicole's food requests for the day:
Breakfast-- waffles and kiwi
Lunch-- Rosa's (the only restaurant to go to...in her opinion). A mexican restaurant where we always get fresh flour tortillas with our meal.
Dinner-- Cornbread. Only. She is nuts over this. When I asked what else she wanted, she just insisted on cornbread so we just gave a few of her usual food picks like hot dogs. (Nothing exciting for adults but she loved it.)

We also attempted a few parks, and when plans were thwarted, Petsmart was her place of choice (y'know, our day was planned by our 3-year-old!). She was a little sad to find out they don't keep dogs there, but she had fun with the fish, kittens, birds, and rats (she said one was named Lisa like me...sa-weet). We also went "swimming" and played in the sand and on the swings in our backyard and just enjoyed hanging out with daddy. It was a really nice kick-back day.

The highlight, of course, were the presents from grandparents and cake. Here are a few shots:
Nicole interpreted her birthday check: "It says, 'I love you, Niccoli. Love, Grandma-mama and Grandpapa." Then when she learned she could pick the toy, it became even cooler.
So excited! I love the foot especially! She just loves "reading" books to herself.
What? My own Barbie? She couldn't believe it!
She had to make sure it was just for her!
And then the kitchen with miniature food came out, and all else was forgotten...
until she was ready for cake.
Her pick...can you tell what her favorite animal is? I tried to make him look a little like her Ruff-ruff that she sleeps with at night. I think the tongue made her giggle.
The cake was taller than I realized, so she got a boost to blow out candles.
Mmmm! The best part of birthdays. Wanna know which part the girls wanted to eat? That's right, the chocolate coated ears.
Here's a chocolate kiss from the birthday girl!

13 comments:

Mom B. said...

Such a cute little sweetie! I'll bet she loved having the whole day to do what she wanted and eat her favorite foods! Fun idea!

Sure wish we could have been there to celebrate with her! Hugs and kisses from Grandma and Grandpa!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nicole!

Kristie said...

Well done on the cake. You should post how you did it, that way I can make my own!
I can't believe she is 3. Happy Birthday Nicole!

tia said...

So many cute photos! My favorite was her interpretation of the check. I wonder what companies would think if that were what we really wrote on our checks... ;)

Papa said...

Love the photos. Glad the little one had such a special day she was able to plan out. Very cool cake! Now all you need is a "real" puppy ;o) (as if you don't already have enough to do!).

BTW, Matt, the beard is looking quite aristocratic.

Michelle said...

happy birthday, niccoliiiii! we loooooove youuuuuu! we can't believe you are already three!! you are so beautiful and we can't wait until the next time we get to snuggle and play with you!

lisa, darling cake! you always do such a fantastic job.

and yes, mattie, niiiiice goat.

The Jones :) said...

Cute!!! Can't believe she's 3 tho!! Wow!! That cake is adorable Lisa...and I love the picture of her waiting so patiently!!! Sure miss you guys and glad she had a good day!!!

Mama said...

Great photos! Could tell Nicole was excited about everything. You gave her the best present -- time with you. The cake looks fantastic!

Mama said...

I'm glad Nicole felt the love that was sent with the check for her birthday presents.

Rebecca Luke said...

What a fun little girl! I love it! The cake looked amazing, and I'm sure she thought that day was the best EVER. How did she get to be 3 though!!!!

On a side note: Yay! I'm so excited our kids... all three of our (me,you,monica) are going to be so close in age!!!! Now we just need to figure out how to get them all together ;) And that's awesome that your sister had two v-bacs. I would actually love to at least e-mail with her about her experiences. I kind of feel in the dark on all this! Hope you are feeling well. We miss you guys!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

She's so cute. Happy birthday big girl! 3 is a fun age!

Joel said...

Cool cake. Happy birthday Nicoli!

Megan said...

so cute! I love all her expressions in the pictures and the narrative, she's got the cutest personality! Great job on the cake, that turned out awesome, it totally looks like ruff ruff!