Saturday, December 08, 2007

My Best Friend

For the past (over) four years, I have know and (for a good majority of that time) been married to the most wonderful man. I knew when I first told Matt I loved him and when I said yes to him, that he was pretty great, but living with him day in and day out and getting to know him on a deeper level has caused me to be on my knees many times, thanking my Heavenly Father that I get to share my life someone that is truly incredible.

He knows my weaknesses better than anyone, and still loves me. He's even helped me conquer a few!(Phew, my eyes are starting to get a bit watery). He has taught me how to love and serve others. He is my example in so many ways. He is my confidant when I am worried or frustrated, when I'm not as forgiving to others or myself as I ought to be. He works so hard to make sure I have time to develop myself, so I can preserve the "whole" Lisa, not just the "Mommy" part of me. He forgives and loves me when I'm not as thoughtful of him as I should be. He makes sure I know I am loved and appreciated by him.

Matt is an incredible daddy. His little girls just burst with energy and smiles that hardly seem possible for their little bodies the moment he comes home, and they are so sad when he goes off to study again. He always takes time to play with and give attention to both of them, and is so careful to make sure neither girl feels left out. He's never balked at changing a horribly poopy diaper or wiping high volumes of spit-up, and I often catch him telling stories or singing songs to one or both girls. He can never resist getting a little surprise for Vanessa at the store, just to see her reaction when he brings it home (I have no doubt he'll soon be doing the same for Nicole as she becomes more "aware of" surprises) .


(This is a shot Vanessa took. I thought it was cute, and I hate to admit it, but she's taken more pictures of him then I have lately...I keep meaning to make him "pose" for me)

He is such a talented man. He not only loves being in his Marriage and Family Therapy program, but he does so well at it. He has a natural and pure charm that allows him to get along well with professors, classmates, and clients (and really anyone he meets). He is so observant of others and often is concerned about the rough time they might be having, or if they need someone to talk to. He has an impressive writing style. I love when he asks me to proof-read his research papers--not because I am much helping actually proofing--I get to read his work and see his amazing way with words. I love watching him teach. He is great at engaging the class and explaining the concept. He has so many other talents that help him to succeed in his work and make it clear he will do well in counseling, teaching, and research.

Matt doesn't let anything stop him. He has recently developed sciatic pain in his leg. It makes mornings (and often nighttimes) especially rough. Although he has found ways to minimize it, it has definitely made life more complicated. Even though he has every right to complain about it, I rarely hear him say a word about it. I often catch him doing things that I know especially fire up the pain (unfortunately, even picking up the girls can hurt). Although I try to relieve him of those things, or at least do the lifting/bending, he still insists on doing it, not wanting to leave it all for me. And, already he is talking about doing another marathon!

I could continue on, and still not be able to fully express what an amazing man I have in my life. Just the other night, he had so much to do, but we got to talking. We just kept talking and hanging out with each other, doing nothing in particular, but loving every minute of it. I probably make it hard for him to get anything done. Each time I get to be around him it just makes my whole day wonderful. I love you, Sweetheart.


(Okay, I know Nicole steals the show in this one...She was the intended person for the video anyway, but I also love it because of Matt's role in the shot, too. And as always, please forgive my lack of filming skills)

9 comments:

Mom B. said...

Thanks for the darling video of Nicole, I can't wait to give her and Vanessa hugs and kisses!

And thanks for the wonderful words about Matt. I have always know that he is a special guy, and I am so happy that others, especially you his wife, can see that too! As a mother of a son, you always hope and pray that he will be a good husband and father, and it is wonderful to hear that he is from the most important person in his life, his wife!

I can see why you, Lisa, got the answer not to go on a mission. You two were meant to be together! You are as amazing as Matt is and you are a perfect match! I love you both so much!!! See you all soon!

Jeanette said...

Hey sis -- I love how freely you share your thoughts. It is a beautiful insight into your soul. I am a very outgoing person, but am very reserved about sharing my most inner thoughts and feelings ... it's something I've always struggled with. Maybe Matt has some "therapy" for my "trust issues" (as I refer to them)!

I love Marie's comments about raising a son to be a good husband and father. I am raising all sons and I often feel overwhelmed with how to teach them and raise them so that they will be wonderful missionaries, husbands and fathers. It feels like a great responsibility, though I am grateful that our Heavenly Father trusts me to do it. However, maybe Matt has some advice in that category as well?! I'm always glad to get ideas. :)

Have a great day! Love, Jeanette

The Jones :) said...

Lisa...you are amazing!! You have such a way with words, and expressing your TRUE feelings. I love it!!
Although I don't know Matt nearly as well as you, I can totally see all the things you mentioned...especially when it came to getting along with people and caring so much about their situations. He's is a great guy, and I'm so glad that we've been able to become such great friends with you guys!!!
Thank you so much for your friendship, example, and love!! You both are amazing people, and have beautiful little girls!! I love how happy and excited Nicole's whole little body gets!!! It's too cute!!!
-Becki :)

Papa said...

Lisa,

Well, this was a post that really did not tell me anything that I did not already know - but you put it all together so well. As I told Matt, if I were to line up 200 returned missionaries and interview then each for my daughter's hand, he is the man I would have picked. Every father wants for his daughter, a man like the one you married. We love your beautiful family more than you could know. As Marie said, you are a perfect match, and your children, no matter what shape they are in when they enter this mortal existence, could not be luckier than they are to come into your very special home. Thank you for sharing your heart with us - we love you all. Papa

Mama said...

Lisa, you are so talented in expressing yourself--you get that talent from your Papa. Matt and you bring out the best in each other and both of you are an inspiration to married couples. The shining smiles on your children shows how much love they get on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Your thoughts reminded me of the days when Papa was in optometry school. I hope all of you children appreciate the fact that Papa was more interested in doing things with his family that going off with guy friends or watching sports on T.V. He helped with a lot of school projects, too. We are so proud of you and Matt and really miss your girls. Have a nice Christmas.

Becky J. said...

Isn't it great being married to your best friend and getting to spend the rest of your life (and eternity) with him?! We're so lucky!

Michelle said...

lisa - that was just beautiful, really. you have an amazing talent for expressing your feelings, and you should be commended for taking the time to do so! i agree with everyone else, you & matt were MFEO!

matt - i just can't begin to tell you how proud i am of you and how privileged i feel to be your sister! you are one in a million, really. and we are all thinking of you and praying that your leg feels better soon. can't wait to see you and your PRICELESS girls in a couple of weeks!

Megan said...

That was so wonderful to read! I love knowing how great of a husband and father my big brother is, and love knowing his wife appreciates it all! I'm so glad you guys found eachother, I love you both dearly and am grateful you both have such amazing spouses!!!
Adorable video of Nicole! I can't wait to see the girls, I miss them SO MUCH!!!!

Sonja said...

What a moving tribute to love! It seems the definition of love changes the longer I'm married. You captured it very poignantly here. I've really enjoyed getting to know you through your blog! You are an amazing woman. Your strength and testimony really shine though and in such an approachable way. I hope we get the opportunity to connect in "real life" too. :D
Merry Christmas!