Monday, March 03, 2008

Remember when...




This past weekend marks the 5th year anniversary of our very first date (March 1st to be exact). Matt and I went back and shared our journal entries from that night (although my journaling skills were sorely lacking). It was fun to think back to that time, share our first impressions and hopes about each other, and remember all the fun memories we created during our pre-marriage dating.




(Not the clearest or smiliest picture, but here we are at good ole "Romance Gardens")

To "commemorate the occasion," I thought I would share the story of our first meeting and a few of our dating pictures. Matt moved into my apartment complex (Roman Gardens) shortly after he returned from his mission. I had very recently felt inspired that I shouldn't go on a mission, although I didn't yet know the reason why. I remember hearing quite a bit about this new, hot guy that just moved in. I figured I didn't have much chance with someone that good-looking, so I didn't pay much attention at first. However, one evening, I got a visit from this new guy and his friend. I say I because I had two engaged roommates...my odds were pretty good.

He seemed really cool and down-to-earth as we chatted, and by the end of the visit I was hooked. I would have been bugged by their comment to "make the rounds" (aka visit the other girls in the complex), except they just went back home. I kept thinking about Matt over the next couple of days and trying to think how I could hang out with him more. That night I got a call from him asking me out for the next night (Saturday, March 1st...yep, that's right, the days were the same as this year. Pretty cool, huh?). I tried hard not to scream into the phone as I said yes and confirmed the time he'd come get me. After I hung up, I was so excited I was jumping up and down and I rushed to tell my roommates and other close friends about it (okay, okay, I know I'm a nerd).

By the time Saturday night rolled around, I was so nervous and excited I couldn't hold still. After trying on I don't know how many shirts, I was finally ready. I remember he looked very handsome that night, but he also seemed a little nervous. That made me feel a little better.

To be honest, the first part of the date (or maybe longer) was a bit awkward. We went to Gandolfo's Deli (The one on University and Center-ish for you Provo-ites). All I remember from that was a huge sandwich and Matt being so shy he hardly said a thing (granted the guy in the "couple" we doubled with did most of the talking). As Matt helped me back into the car, I bonked my head. I tried to play it cool and I thought he didn't notice, but later I found out he was just too kind to call me on it (I was not very graceful, even when we were only dating).

Next we went back to complex (the other couple lived in RG, too) to watch "Strictly Ballroom." For those of you who have ever watched a movie on a first date with someone you hardly know, you will understand how awkward that feels. You don't know each other well enough to be cuddly, and it's not cool to talk a lot during the movie. So, I just sat with my hands in my lap, thinking it was a very weird movie, and hoping we'd get a better chance to talk before the night was over.

Afterwards, we played compatibility. That was much more fun. We won, but I think it was more because I just assumed Matt would pick things related to religion (mission) and Mexico (where he served his mission). I don't know what tactics he used, but we won. And hey, we actually started to flirt a bit. Perhaps he was hoping to chat more, too, because after the game was done he asked if I could show him how to play piano (I don't know much, but I know enough to show someone who knows nothing), and we ditched the other couple to go to the activity room (a room with a very old pool table, foosball table, piano, and couches inside our complex).

Although we briefly goofed around on the piano, we really just sat a talked for a long while. I don't recall what we talked about, but I felt so much more comfortable with him, and felt like I knew him a bit better. I knew for sure then that I wanted to date this guy. Our talk ended when curfew came (BYU rules) and someone came to lock the room up (I think it was more to keep people out late at night than they were worried about the stuff inside). We talked as he walked me back to my apartment (a lengthy one flight of stairs and one door down). We agreed that we had fun and wanted to go out again, and then he hugged me. In that brief moment, I remembered the discussion in one of my classes about expressing that you liked the other person by kissing them on the cheek. Well, I was too chicken to do that (I have never been very bold in dating), but I liked Matt too much not to do anything, so I just gave him an extra long hug. I could tell he got the message. I went inside and couldn't fall asleep for hours...I was crazy about him! And well, the rest is history!



I didn't find out until after we got engaged, but when Matt went home that night, he got a distinct impression that I was the one he was going to marry. Perhaps he'll post his version soon(or at least his interjections in my version). It's good he waited to tell me that though, because I think I would have freaked out. I did not think I was going to get married that year! Still, I think about that first date all the time, because it was the start of something truly wonderful...I can't believe it's already been 5 years!


(Ah, beautiful Seattle...we've had so much fun every time we go)

12 comments:

Megan said...

That was a fun post to read! I loved seeing all the pictures too! That part about "making the rounds" and then just going home cracked me up!!! Happy 5 year anniversary of your first date!!!

Papa said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Although I knew some of the circumstances around your meeting, I have never heard the specifics. Funny, but it was an extra hug from Mama on our first date that told me she was as interested in me as I was in her. For the guy, it is hard to know (especially with you sweet 'Mormon' girls) if agreeing to a date is just being polite or is actually due to a shared interest. The little extras (like the hug or a peck on the cheek) is a modest and subtle way to convey a message of interest and the hope for romance. We probably knew by March 2nd that there was a very special guy in Lisa's life. I do hope Matt will forgive me for teasing him just a little when he called to ask for Lisa's hand in marriage. He was very nervous when he called and talked about the weather, my job, the latest in baseball scores, how many whiskers are on the leg of a cricket, and the price of tea in China before he coughed a few times and finally got to the REAL purpose of his call. Then when he asked for my daughter's hand, I promptly said no! (I was just teasing, because inside I really said YES!!!!!!!). There was silence on the other end of the line - a LONG silence, and at first I was afraid I had scared the poor guy to death. So I had to break the silence by telling Matt I was delighted to have him marry my daughter. However it was then that I did have to tell him that he was marrying the very sweetest and nicest girl in the world, but warning him that he has to be very patient with Lisa because she only has one speed - slow. Mollasses flowing uphill on on a cold day slow. (Sorry Lisa for the brutal honesty, but you know how special and precious you are to me). I do hope that Matt will add his version of the first date. We love you all very much, and Matt, no father could ask for as better husband for his daughter than you have been to Lisa, or a better father than you have been to Vanessa and Nicole.

Delee said...

Wow! I can't believe it's been 5 years! This post brought back so many great memories of Roman Gardens, it was such a fun place to live. It was funny to hear about your first date, you really are the best girl for Matt! Did you watch Strictly Ballroom again just for the memories??!! (That is a wierd movie!)

The Jones :) said...

That is too cute Lisa...I hope Matt will post something too, cuz I'd like to hear his side!! Isn't it fun to reflect on things like that!! I just love it...after reading yours I've been thinking a lot about mine & Ryan's!! Good memories!! We need to get together again!!
-Becki :)

Mom B. said...

Oh Lisa, that is such a special post! It is so fun to hear your thoughts and feelings when you first met Matt. I knew how he felt in the beginning, but hadn't really heard it from your point of view.

I really feel that you two were meant to be together. There were so many things that just fell into place so you could meet each other.

Dad and I are so happy that you joined our family! You are the perfect compliment to Matt. We agree whole heartedly with your Dad, you are a very special person! You are a great wife to Matt and a wonderful mom to our sweet little granddaughters!

Happy 5th anniversay of your first date! We love and miss you all!!!

Mama said...

Papa has said it all and I agree. It sure is fun to recall how it all started. We just did that because the first date Papa asked me on was the Valentine's dance. He asked far enough ahead that we went on two other dates before actually going to that dance. Isn't it wonderful the way the Lord helps two special people find each other. Your girls are so lucky to have you and Matt as their parents.

Jeanette said...

I don't think I knew all those details. And I'm not sure I could even find my journal from when Aaron and I first met! That might be a fun challenge for me, do you think? Happy 5 years of knowing each other! :)

Mollie said...

Super cute, Lisa! It is so fun to remember the carefree beginnings...It puts the added responsibility of marriage and kiddos into a great perspective! Thanks for sharing your sweet beginnings!

tia said...

It was fun to read your first impressions. I think you had shared some with me, but I had forgotten most of them. I hope Matt can find the time to share his side of the story.

Michelle said...

awww...this was so fun to read! i remember a lot of this story since i was there to witness a lot of it firsthand! you guys are a great couple...congrats on five years of dating!

BlueAdagio said...

I read your blog to your Dad and it made me teary eyed....then I read your blog about Matt and it just got worse...then I read what your Dad wrote about your blog about Matt and it happened...you made me cry. Haha. Thanks for sharing everything. I loved remembering those time in Roman Gardens. I even noticed in one of the pictures you posted that it is a picture of you and Matt in our apartment. I can see Jana's purse hanging, our old ugly snowman tablecloth that got put on one winter and never taken off, and my old watercolor from when I was twelve. Crazy the memories that picture brought back. I also remember how excited you were and how Matt called to ask Jana if he should ask you out for the first time cause he was sooo nervous. Those were fun times. Shiloh and I were talking about you last night, actually, and we commented that you and Matt are such a great couple and family and that we are constantly impressed with your husband. You snagged a great one...but that's probably cause you of all people deserved it. :) I love you Molisa!

Jon Becca James said...

You too are meant to be together. Thanks for sharing your story with us! How are you guys doing?