Tuesday, March 04, 2008

To My Papa



(A happy grandpa. This was the first time he met Nicole, and the first time he'd seen Vanessa since he had been gone to Afghanistan)

I had thought about doing a similar photo tribute for my dad as I did for my mom, but as I don't have access to as many pictures of him (he is more often behind the camera than in front of it, and because he is always telling stories, it seems more fitting to share a few memories I have of him. So, here is an even further trip down memory lane. Happy 60th Birthday Papa!



(Papa's usual pose)

*I, of course, have the shared memory with my brothers and sisters about the time when he read Uncle Remus to us. I loved the stories of Brer Rabbit and hearing all the accents and facial expressions he used. I didn't understand that he was healing from back surgery, but I do I remember thinking it was so cool that he would stay home and read to us.

*I remember when we lived in Georgia, I fell down our wooden stairs one time (I think I actually just slid down). I started crying and Papa came to my rescue, carrying my upstairs and cheering me up.

*When I was about 9 or 10 I had to have sugery to get my adnoids removed. Both Mama and Papa were there to comfort me, and I felt so safe. The best part of that experience was that I got to eat Push-Pops (not just the cheap popsicles), and I got to sit on Papa's lap and watch movies.

*Papa was always taking us on camping and hiking trips. We often did camping as a whole family, and it usually included a fun trip to the fish hatchery. Hiking was a rite of passage of sorts, and being the 5th of 6 kids, it was a big deal when I first got to join Papa and my older siblings. My very first hiking trip, I was still pretty small, and I'm sure very slow (big surprise, I know). All that I carried in my pack was my sleeping bag, and although I wasn't very aware of it then, I'm sure Papa carried all the rest, plus the other heavy stuff the others couldn't carry. It probably was a pretty exasperating, exhausting trip for him, but he made it fun for us.

*There were countless times that we were expected to work in the yard and garden, pulling weeds, planting seeds, and so on. While I can't say I was always super thrilled at having to do all that, it gave me a chance to chat with Papa. Sometimes he would share stories from when he was a kid, and sometimes he listen to what I was doing with school, friends, etc.

*My first "date" when I turned 16 was a daddy-daughter date. I got to choose the place to go. I felt so special going out to dinner annd hanging out just with Papa.

*One year, while I was still attending BYU, Papa sent me a package for my birthday. It was full of my favorite junk food, complete with chocolate. I think I get my "chocoholic genes" from him.

These are just a few of the memories I have with my dad. I love you, Papa!


(Here's a Vanessa drawing for you. The blue crayon is your face, and the pink is your birthday cake)

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

You do such a great job with your tributes. Maybe I could do the same if I had a blog?

I share some of the same memories ... although on my first date, Papa forget his wallet and I got left as collateral until he returned with money!

tia said...

It was fun to read your memories because some were new to me. I remember my first time hiking with Papa. Like you, I think he carried most of my stuff and had to slow down for me. The most memorable part was when I stepped on a yellow jackets' nest and was instantly surrounded by angry insects. I was frozen stiff with fright until Papa's voice was able to coax me into motion. Surprisingly, I escaped with only one sting on my finger.

Papa said...

Thank you Lisa (and Jeanette and Angelene) for your kind words. Lisa, I remember our first "date"-we had dinner at the Izzy's on Lancaster. My favorite job in my lifetime was that of being a father to six wonderful children. You are each very special, and I have many fond memories of each of you when you were growing up. 60 years . . . I remember when that seemed so old to me - but it does not seem so old now that I have "arrived" there. Just think, between us, Mama and I have lived 120 years!!

Alena said...

Well I would feel left out if I didn't put my input into this. I think it's very cool that you have done these tributes Lisa. Although I wan't able to be a part of most those trips I have had the opportunity to have one on one with our dear Papa. We got the chance yesterday to talk about things in life and it just made me think about how cool it was to have such a knowlegable (sp?) Dad and all the stories that come with it. I remember my date with Papa (the only 'official' one I've been on) we went to Red Robins and had their famous Strawberry lemonades. thank you Lisa for sharing that, I love you! and I love you Papa!

Kristi said...

I love your family!