Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Family Update

Since we've been absent for a while on this site, I thought I'd tell a little about what we've been up to:

Nicole:
*Jabbering up a storm: There's a lot of words in there we don't recognize yet, but she is beginning to build up her vocabulary, including "poop," "amen" ("mehhhh"), "Thank you" ("Deet-doo"), and "doggie."

*Bum-scooting and push-walking: Although it's a common sight at our house, Nicole gets smiles and comments when she scoots at lightning speeds with one leg bent and one straight (you kind of have to see it to really understand). She has a blast showing off her skills. She also loves her push toy and has figured out how to turn it so she can cruise all over the downstairs.

*Sporting 4.5 teeth: After probably 6 months of waiting, she got in two more teeth (on the top), then her mouth sort of gave up, mid-attempt, on the 5th. I love seeing her toothy smile!

*Little Sister Syndrome: Nicole now has to be a part of everything, and tries very hard to do things just like Vanessa. Somethings are more desireable ("dancing" to "Strawberry Shake") than others (saying "no" and trying to snag toys from other kids). She is very aware of things Vanessa does that she can't, but most of the time we're able to include her some way. Her biggest thing lately has been the infatuation with Vanessa's toddler bed. She has figured out how to climb onto it, and will bounce or lay on it with a pretty satisfied look on her face.

*Visiting more doctors: While this may not be "new" news, we have discovered some other doctors and programs we need to be involved with. Nicole will be doing a sleep study Saturday because she likely has partial obstruction of her airway during sleep. She is also seeing an otolaryngologist (Ear, nose, and throat doctor), because she has a bifid uvula (split) and (very likely) a submucous cleft (different but related to cleft palate) that is the cause of her frequent ear infections. She'll probably get tubes. We may be able to have Nicole meet with a physical therapist soon to be sure her leg muscles/motor skills are developing as they should. Oh, and for good measure, we're seeing another doctor, just because she might be the closest we have in Utah to a dwarfism specialist. Yee-haw!


Vanessa:
*Mommy-in-training: Vanessa loves to try to be a second mommy to Nicole, and when we have to teach Nicole not to hit, Vanessa wants to show her "how to be gentle." I've also caught her picking up dirty clothes (wow!) and even trying to undress Nicole for bathtime (much to Nicole's frustration). It requires patience from me, but it's neat to see her so happy to help out.

*Full of imagination: I often catch her acting out her own little stories. Usually it has something to with what she has read or watched, but sometimes she really shows she has a mind of her own. Fequently made-up songs are involved. In addition, when we are visiting with people and she wants to be a part of the conversation (every time), she make up something she thinks sounds like adult talk. Sometimes it's amazingly accurate, and sometimes her words are much like a dream (she makes no sense). Either way it gets the attention she loves.

*Becoming a "big kid": She is learning how to do so much on her own now. She has gotten brave enough to step on the little snapper fireworks with her shoes and has learned how to do a handstand against the wall. We got her "Hi-Ho Cherry-O" and she loves playing that game and any other game (whether she gets it or not). Today she wanted me to teach her how to play piano and tell her the time, then proceded to "teach" me how to play and how to read a clock. She has even decided she likes pumping her legs on the swing so she can swing herself. She is always trying to hang out with the older kids, and I am quite sure she believes they're the same age as her.

*Driver: Whenever we have to move the car, or drive in the parking lot, Vanessa gets to ride on our lap and "steer" for us. She gets a little excited and wild about it, so she is more squeals than skills, but who needs driving skills at three?! And, whenever possible, she wants us to make our car drive "like McQueen." I think we'll be in trouble later!

Matt:
*"New" car: We have put off having two cars as long as possible, but have finally caved. We realized it was the best way to actually get to see Matt with his 8am-10pm schedule. Now he can zip home for a little bit when a client cancels or his brain's going to explode from overload.
Matt has gone back to his true love, the Volvo. It's a great little car, especially considering it's 18 years old and has no A/C. The girls don't always like it (since 100 degree weather requires open windows), but for him it's a fun "project" car that reduces stress for him, and for both of us it brings back a lot of great dating memories.

*300+ hours: Because he has only one mode when it comes to his schedule (busy) and loves the challenges associated with seeing clients, Matt is now past 300 hours, and will likely have another 50 by the end of the summer. The best part: he will be done with his client hours well before graduation and feel really great about it. The worst part: he might end up with an ulcer or a breakdown before graduation, too!

*Teacher: As part of the MFT program, Matt will be teaching a class fall semester: Marriage Preparation. This will allow him to train for another aspect of becoming professor (maybe he'll even get a TA to take care of some of the work). It will be at 8am, so we hope the students will be awake and interactive, but I just told Matt to tell one of his classic stories, and he should be good! It will be excited to see what experiences he has with it.

Me:
To be honest, I don't really have much news to share but here's my attempt anyway:

*Couple Communication: Matt and I have finally completed the second half of our teaching to certify as instructors for a communication class/program. We will be official as soon as we take our instructor test! Matt's been using it in some of his therapy cases, so he's a bit more of a pro than me, but I enjoy the training and interacting with the couples we've taught.

*Relief Society 4th Sunday Teacher: I get to teach once a month in Relief Society now, and I don't know if I've ever been so completely excited for a calling (although I have enjoyed past callings). I have been able to study in-depth some of my very favorite talks, and I get to still be in Relief Society (when we're not sick, traveling or sub-ing that is). I am still learning what it takes to be a good teacher, but hopefully the women who are being "taught" are benefitting from it as much as I am!

10 comments:

Mom B. said...

Thanks for the great update, even though I knew some of it already! It's great to hear the details of the girls and your everyday life! It keeps me feeling like I am a litle more connected to all of you!
Sounds like everyone is growing and learning lots! Give the girls kisses from me!

Becca said...

Thanks for the updates! That is so neat you guys are becoming couple communication instructors together! You two will make a great team (you already do!)

The Jones :) said...

Holy cow...I thought you guys died or something...haven't heard from you in FOREVER!!! Well since 4th of July...that was a MONTH ago!! It was fun to read the updates though...we should get together again before Matt is TOTALLY overloaded with school...and Ryan too!! Also...we should plan some "outings" that are cheap Lisa...that way you & I can get OUT of the house before the cold weather and 2nd baby comes!! YIKES!!! Keep in touch and we'll have to plan something!!
-Becki :)

Joel said...

Good to hear the updates! It's fun to hear what they are update. We kept saying, "that sounds like Joshua or that sounds like Katie". We sure enjoyed our last visit.

Becky J. said...

How fun that you're the 4th Sunday RS teacher! What a perfect calling for you! I know those sisters are benefitting immensely from your instruction, just like they did before when you'd teach. Good to hear an update from y'all. I miss you!

Alena said...

Thanks for the update, although I get to see it first hand it's nice to be able to read some things that we might not have been able to talk about (esp since the girls have become so much more "chatty" now lol). I had no idea Matt was teaching a class, and if I was married and it wasn't @ 8 in the morning I would take it! I like the new design, it's different, but very..."you". love ya sis : )

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

Actually, I made an error. Matt is teaching Marriage Preparation...so Bean, wanna attend?

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Welcome back Lis! I'm glad to hear all the Browns are hanging in there. The girls sound like they are growing big and getting into lots of trouble for you.

Jeanette said...

Guess what? I just got called as the RS 4th Sunday teacher too! We'll have to collaborate. :)

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

I love your updates, Lisa! Thanks for sharing what's going on with your family :) The girls are so adorable and I love the things you share about everyone!