Nicole did awesome with the set-up and even seemed like she had a little bit of fun. She even tried to stick on the surplus stickers and wires the tech gave her to play with.
After the tech placed about 22 wires (with two more under her nose yet to come), he wheeled in her "test crib." Nicole thought the bed (or play area as she perceived it) was pretty cool, and she even decided to pose for me showing off all the nifty wires and bands:
"Mommy, don't forget the cool toe piece!"
As if the wires and such weren't enough, I still needed to put her brace on for the night. She humored me, but gave me this look like, "how much more are we going to have to do here?"
Still she had her bear and "bee-bee" (binky) to help her feel (more) comfortable.
The hardest part of the night was getting her to sleep. After getting her all situated, I could see in her expression that she was starting to put 2 and 2 together and that she was somehow supposed to sleep with all this stuff on. We read a few books, but then she just started crying. I would have gladly just snuggled her to sleep, but with all those wires, her brace, and the box the wires were connected to, it wasn't going to happen. So, I held her as comfortably as I could and just rocked her while the tech came in and out a couple of times. She finally passed out enough to where I could lay her down. Thankfully, she more or less slept the rest of the night.
The weirdest part of the night was knowing I was sleeping in a room monitored by video, with a tech that would come in at any moment several times during the night to add/adjust wires. I also slept in a bed with a plastic mattress cover (for younger kids who come take the test) that crinkled with every motion, and a pillow that wasn't uncomfortable, but felt very odd. It wasn't bad, but with all that, and worrying about how well Nicole would do, I felt a little restless. I am just glad she was too tired to care!
We were woken up at 6:30 so the tech could remove wires and wrap things up so we could go. I was tempted to ask if we could just unhook her and let us sleep longer, but they don't really do that (probably so the techs can also go home and get sleep). Nicole looked a little less than thrilled to see the tech at first, but quickly cheered up and started jabbering as she realized she was being set free. After that we just had to get up and out the door. Since Nicole still had a lot of stickers on her, I had to wait for home and a tubby to take them off, but I took a picture of them before we left (she looks mad in this shot because I set her down and wasn't showing her the picture I was taking right that moment!):
This is how we both felt on the ride home:
Now we're home and happy to be here! We're so relieved to know the test went successfully! Now we just wait for the results...
9 comments:
Oh my gosh, I can't believe she could sleep with all of those wires attached to her! And her brace on top of all that?!?!?! Poor little bug! I'm glad to see she handled it like a pro! What a strong little girl!
Sounds like an adventure!! Poor little girl...she sure has been through a lot in her short little life. Good things she's a trooper!!! Hope the results come back positive!!
-Becki :)
Poor little sweetie! She is such a good sport with everything she has gone through!
I guess it is good that she won't remember much of this when she is older!
Glad you are home and can get some real rest!
So very glad you guys are good to capture all of this stuff with photos - thank you!! In your hands a camera is priceless for the wonderful memories you capture and share with us. Heavenly Father must have some special blessings in store for Nicole, she sure has endured a lot. There is absolutely no way I would have been able to sleep with all of that stuff on- NO WAY! We love your blog entries, and admire your family and the faith and patience you demonstrate time and time again. I am sure there are many times you'd love to shout, "Enough already!!!" But you just seem to find humor in each new challenge and simply move on. You are wonderful examples to all of us.
When Lillia went back to the hospital to get light therapy, I slept in the bed and had nurses come in throughout the night to check on her. Lillia did very well, but I was definetly ready to leave. Seeing what a trooper Nicole is reminds me that we are probably pretty well prepared for our trials before we come to earth. And on a lighter note, the girls are so cute! I can't believe how much Vanessa looks like Matt and Nicole looks like you!!
I'm not sure Sam would have ever gone to sleep. You are such a good Mom and so brave. You are right about the video camera thing too. I don't know if you remember, but I totally sleep talk and would never want to be caught on a camera so someone could capture how crazy I am in my sleep. LOL.
Wow! When you said she would have a lot of wires attached to her, I definately underestimated the number. She is an amazing girl--always smiling through whatever is asked of her. Of course, that is because she knows her parents are right there through every trial. She is such a special spirit!! I sure love her and Vanessa.
You got some great pictures. Looks like it was almost fun! I'm glad Nicole was alright with being covered with wires.
We had to do an EEG with Kaly once so I know how some of those wires can be. I'm impressed she did so well. That's awesome!
Post a Comment