Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Surgery

Nicole will be having surgery this Friday (5th) for a couple reasons:
1) Ear tubes: we hope the near-constant infections will cease after this. Between the pain of infection, and the stomach issues resulting from antibiotics, we have been anxious for this all to end!
2) Tonsils and adenoids: Results from the sleep study showed she does have severe sleep apnea, and needs more oxygen. We could have done a CPAP (meaning an oxygen mask she'd have to wear every night...not very easy with a 15-month-old), or surgery (removing these will increase airway). Since she has to be put under anesthesia already for the tubes, this seemed like a doable option and a decent time to do it.

Bad News:
baby in pain
the surgery itself
overnight hospital stay
(more) drugs
delayed anniversary (our 5th)
nervous mommy (probably daddy too)
anesthesia/possible airway issues

Good News:
just getting it done!
great surgeon
sleep relief for Nicole (and perhaps others, too!)
relief of ear pain
ease of breathing/possible elimination of apnea
prayers/blessings
Medicaid
less spontaneous trips to pediatrician (we hope)
chocolate (for mommy and later Nicole, too)
snuggle time (whole family)

P.S. Vanessa thankfully is doing well through all of this...yet we are beginning to wonder if she should do a sleep study just to be safe (are we gluttons for punishment or what?!).

5 comments:

Becky J. said...

Oh, I hope the surgery goes well! Sad to think of sweet little Nicole having to undergo anything like this, but she's such a fighter that I'm sure she'll fare so well! Good luck to you and her!

The Jones :) said...

That's terrible...I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. I hope you'll let us know if there's anything we can do to help or anything!?!?! If Vanessa needs a break (or you do)...she's welcome to come play with Klous!!! Good luck and keep us posted...sorry we haven't been better at keeping in touch/contact too :(
Love ya
Becki :)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you got things figured out for the surgery. Nicole will be in our prayers for a speedy recovery. Are you doing the surgery at Primary's? Good luck. We will be thinking of you this weekend.

Alan and Jeni said...

Wow, I hope everything goes well and that Nicole recovers quickly. Good luck to all of you. You'll be in our prayers.

Mama said...

All of you will definately be in my prayers. Wish I was elasta girl so my arms could reach out and give all of you a hug. I am looking forward to your call after the surgery. It is good Vanessa seems to have a sensitivity to others needs.