Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday--The National Mall, D.C.

Of course, you can't get this close to the nation's capital without going to see some of its history!

We headed into D.C. on the Metro, making an important stop at the FAA. :)

Then we came in starting at Union Station, then we moved from there to the Archive building.

I'm in Texas...in D.C.!



Angelene doing our Grandmother's famous pose.


The Constitution (the documents are so well-protected that it doesn't make for a good picture, but for an incredible view). It is amazing to think of the power of words, (not mine obviously!) and the documents that helped to form our nation.

We went on to museums, passing some gorgeous gardens on the way.




We ran out of time to see the Senate building, but managed to see the Botanic Gardens. I know, I know, you can see plants anywhere...


but not so many beautiful, rare ones (I think this one is a passion flower). It was a special treat for such a plant-lover and Angelene was kind enough to "re-see" the sights of the city with me.

We also made to the Smithsonian American History building. (No good pictures here). Besides a lot of other great things, we got to see the real Star-Spangled Banner that capped our adventure from Saturday.




Sadly we ran out of energy and time, and lounged in the park with the view (yep, of the Monument) before heading back.

1 comment:

Papa said...

Yes, that is a passion flower. They grow wild in North Carolina. They have pods on them that are about twice the size of a golfball, and they make a pop when thrown against something. As kids we called them "may pops", I guess because they "may" pop if they hit right. Love the photo of you and Angelene together, and it is now my desktop background.