Friday, May 18, 2007

Couple Communication


For the past few weeks, Lisa and I have been teaching a couple communication course on campus as part of our certification. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this program, but it is really cool. It teaches couples how to more effectively communicate and collaborate while dealing with difficult issues.
It has been really fun to do this together as a couple. The first two nights, Dr. Larson (my advisor) and another graduate student taught the lessons, but tonight Lisa and I were able to teach lesson 3, which discusses 8 steps involved in mapping an issue (which is basically understanding the issue completely, discussing wants, and committing to certain actions aimed at resolving the issue). Teaching together tonight made me excited for our future together as educators in this field. I have also really enjoyed working with the couples in our class and watching them come to understand each other better through improved communication. We still have to teach 10 more couples before we are officially ceritified. We are hoping to offer another class later this summer, but we'll see how that goes with two kids.

2 comments:

Mom B. said...

I'm so proud of you! It will be so good for your marriage to be able to discuss differences in a way that both husband & wife feel understood! Keep up the good work!

Megan said...

Cool guys! I'm glad it went well!