Wednesday, September 12, 2007

When the going gets tough, the desperate get creative!

I have been noticing lately that Vanessa's "terrible two's" tend to be more "terrible" when she is bored or tired. Although the tired part is fairly easy (I believe in naps!), the bored part proves to be a little tricky, especially when it is coupled with jealousy. Since Nicole eats every two hours and needs to be rocked to sleep, you can see how this can happen!

So, I got at least a little smarter. I thought since it was now schooltime for Matt, we could create "school" for Vanessa, too. During the week I've been trying to do at least one activity a day that either gets us out of the house or involves something fun and hands on (Thanks Mom B. for the helpful books!). I think Vanessa is still getting the hang of it, because sometimes when I ask her if she wants to do something, she'll say no, regardless of interest. Still, it has proven to be worthwhile.

So far we've made beans take root then planted them (I think I've killed them now, though), "churned" butter, gone on walks, colored, played made-up games, and Vanessa's all -time favorite--balloon dancing. I've let her keep the balloons, and a week later, she is still twirling around with them, requesting music and shouting/singing, "I sing all the time." And really, she does! (You'll have to forgive the quality of the pictures...they're all I've got!)
















By the way, as an "edit" to my last post, I realized some of the pictures kind of got chopped off, and so Nicole's brace pictures didn't really do the job. If you're interested, here they are:

I have also included a link that has proven both helpful and consoling to me during this club foot correction process:

http://six-feet.com/index.html

7 comments:

The Jones :) said...

Oh how cute Lisa...you're so creative!!! I'm sure Vanessa is having fun with all the adventures!! We really need to get together...Zack keeps asking for "Nessa" :) Also...the little brace for Nicole is ADORABLE!!! Looks like she's on a little tiny skateboard!! Too cute!!
-Becki :)

Mom B. said...

What cute girls! They both have really bright minds and strong spirits and will keep you very busy!
I'm glad all those books I buy second hand have come in handy for my grandchildren!
I'm glad to be able to see Nicole's brace. Somehow I thought it would be bigger, but it doesn't look so bad in reality! Love you all!

Michelle said...

that website is great! i'll bet that helps you out a lot. and i agree with mom, her brace looks really good! i was picturing full leg braces, for some reason, so this looks great to me. that's not the great castini making a comeback in the pic with the purple blanket, though, is it??

Jana said...

You're already getting Nicole ready for the X-games, starting her out early. You can make some good money doing that! I can't wait until Adelyn is old enough to go on adventures with me, that sounds so fun!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea Lisa, Pippa I think has started to do the same kinda thing with Caden, so I think I'll jot that down in my memory for waaaay down the road ;) oh and I love Nicole's new braces, she looks like she's riding a skateboard 24/7. Oh how I wish I was there now. :D
~BEAN

Mollie said...

Ohhh...she is so sweet! All snuggled up! Vanessa cracks me up! Tell her I sing all the time,too!

Chelsey said...

We sure love looking at your blog and we enjoyed having you stop by our house. I hope things are going well and I hope that you got home safely. You guys put us to shame when it comes to the comments on your blog. We get one or two here and there. I guess being popular would help. Ha ha.