Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Peaceful Sleep

I have more great news. Nicole recently had a much needed follow-up sleep study done. For those who may not know, she has been sleeping with a cannula (nose tube) hooked to an oxygen machine. While that has been a helpful temporary solution, it never was fully getting the job done.

With the follow-up, they were able to confirm that she is still dealing with sleep apnea and requested a second sleep study at that clinic so she could be studied while sleeping with a CPAP and mask. Monday night I went in with her to the study. It took a few hours to get her hooked up and asleep enough to allow the pressurized air to be attached to her mask, but once she was set up, she went into a long, deep, still, restful sleep for a while. Our wonderful sleep tech, Tom, kept me up-to-date on how things were going, and asked me, "Has she ever slept this well?" I thought for a minute on that. This may be the first in a long time that she didn't move or wheeze for more air while in deep sleep. It was an emotional moment (still is) to see her laying there and knowing she was getting the best sleep...the sleep her little body needs so much.

We still have to go through the process of getting our own CPAP and mask for Nicole and adjusting her to it (the not so fun part), but after hitting countless road blocks in Utah trying to make all this happen, it seems incredible that we are so close now! We continue to discover why the Lord led us here to Lubbock. I can't wait to see how much better Niccoli will feel from getting great sleep!

8 comments:

tia said...

Hooray! May the rest of this process go smoothly. :)

Papa said...

Ho wonderful - nice "breakthrough". Our prayers are with you all.

Michelle said...

that is GREAT news. keep us updated!

Rebecca Luke said...

so great. Thanks so much for updating, and I'm so glad that you are closer to a solution now for that little precious one. Love you guys!

Alena said...

I remember talking to you guys in person about your decision and seeing the looks on your faces when you decided that Lubbock was the place to go. There was so much faith and determination in those looks, and it's cool to read how much that faith has led you and still will. I'm so happy for you guys!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That's so cool. I'm glad the new mask will help her sleep better. Something we all need!!!

Mama said...

So glad Nicole will finally get that mask. Makes me think there is more hope that you will get the genetics test for Nicole. We'll keep praying.

Megan said...

oh, I'm so glad you guys are getting some much needed help! I had no idea she was still having a hard time sleeping, poor little girl! I hope you get the equipment soon!