In case you can't tell from that picture, the machine itself is about the size of a toddler's shoebox. A LOT smaller than her good ole' oxygen concentrator and much quieter (Vanessa's happy about that!). Here she is sportin' the new look:
She adjusted right away to the mask, but the force of air out of that tube was a little scary. Still, trooper that she is, Nicole allowed us to put it on her (complete with a sugar bribe) after the third or fourth night and has been happy as a clam ever since. You would not believe the transition in her daytime mood. Right before we got the CPAP, Nicole was ornery and upset pretty frequently throughout each day. Once she got through a full night with the air pressure, she was all smiles, and she kept saying, "I love you, Daddy," "I love you, Mommy." It was so nice to see her feeling so good and sleeping so peacefully.
Our one snag in the works is that our insurance granted coverage for the CPAP on a probationary basis. There's a card in the machine that records data during her sleep and if, after 3 months, it shows the information the insurance is looking for, they will approve coverage indefinitely. We hope somehow the data reflects the positive effects we've seen! In the meantime, we're content to let Nicole enjoy real sleep!
7 comments:
Sweet little girl! I am so happy that things are going well and she is feeling better! Hugs from Grandma B!
Yes, we got to see the transformation while we were there - although Nicole could still give you one of her snappy comments or dirty looks - but then instantly turn to sugar and win your heart over. We live in such a marvelous age don't we.
We are so happy Nicole continues to get that deeper sleep that keeps her happy during the day. I miss the "I Love You" that she says throughout the day. We'll continue to pray that the insurance will pay for the CPAP after the probation period.
I must say when I first saw the title, I thought it said CRAP!! Oops :) glad she's doing better and sleeping better!! You all deserve it!!
Haha, I totally thought it said "CRAP" too! haha. Sorry Lisa :) But ya, I'm glad to hear she's doing well! Love you all!
How wonderful! For those of us who have never had trouble breathing, it's hard to imagine what it would be like. I'm glad that the CPAP is working so well and so quietly.
So do you know what 'data' they are looking for? Or is it some mystery that only they will unveil and you will never really know if there really was any data or if it was just a 'hoop'?
Post a Comment