Friday Vanessa and I went to the University Mall to have lunch with friends. It was nice to hang out and chat, and those of us who didn't have to head back to work went to the play area in the mall afterward.
Since the play area is set up like a big treehouse, there are areas where you can't see what's going on inside very well unless you have a direct view or are also inside. Still, I could see Vanessa pretty well, and she seemed to be having fun going up and down the stairs and playing peek-a-boo with me. Shortly after she went back in one time, this little girl (who probably was not a whole lot older than her) came in and pushed her, then started to yank on Vanessa's hair...HARD. As soon as I could, I was up and running (okay, waddling) in there, fuming mad. I yelled at the girl, "No! Stop that!" wondering where on earth her mother was at a moment like this. Fortunately for the girl, she ran off after that and I scooped up my crying child and did my best to comfort her. I was so ready to pull that little girl's hair to teach her a lesson (She had longer hair than Vanessa), but luckily I still somewhat had my senses about me and realized that it probably would not have been the appropriate thing to do. It took me an hour or two to fully let it go.
Poor Vanessa had a hard time calming down after that. She had that cry that would break anyone's heart and she had this confused look on her face like What did I do to deserve that? She did try to get down and play again, but right as she did so, another, bigger girl ran by her and accidently clipped her, making her fall down. For Vanessa, that was the last straw, and we left the area so she could feel safe and hopefully forget the incident. Although she had fun the rest of the day, occasionally she would say, "she pull hair," and tug at her hair with a sad face. I think if that little girl had been much older, she would have come to understand the meaning of "mother bear." No one messes with my sweet, little Vanessa!
4 comments:
She did have an awfully sad look on her face and was pretty confused why it all happened. I wanted to do something to Lisa...and hopefully next time we get together it won't be quite so traumatic for Vanessa!!
-Becki :)
oh sister! i'm so sorry! poor vanessa...seeing your little ones suffer because of a mean kid is the worst. i think you did a fantastic job handling the whole situation!
Oh Lisa, I feel so bad for you and our sweet little Vanessa. It just breaks your heart to see your sweet loving little child being hurt by another! And I know all about being a Mother Bear. Dad always called me that when my kids were little! You were very strong to be able to control your anger! When your child is hurt, you just want to take all that pain on yourself and make it all better. But I guess hurt is a part of life and we all have to deal with it sometimes. I'm just glad Vanessa has you to be there to love and comfort her. Some children aren't as blessed! Give her a big hug and kiss from Grandma!
Oohhh! So Sad! We have all been in that position and it is so hard! When that happens to my kids, I explain that someone made a very bad choice...But that they(MY sweet, innocent child) are a good, nice girl who would never do that to someone! This kind of gives them some control back(they have the agency to chose a better choice) and is a confidence booster! Give her lots of loves from us!
Post a Comment