Don't ask me why that's one of her silly little nicknames, but it somehow fits Vanessa. After reading some of the other cute blog entries you guys have written about your little ones, I felt it was time (again, I think) to write about the social, active life of our Vanessa Marie (brace yourself for maternal rambling).
This morning, as I tried to squeeze in a couple more minutes of rest before rolling my big belly out of bed, Vanessa came in, bright-eyed and full of things to say. After accepting the fact that Daddy really did have to go to work, she began to sing to herself (as she often does these days). I remember something about "baby...with a bottle...drink milk" and then it turned into the alphabet song (which she actually got most of the first 10 letters correct), all set to her own tune.
The other day (much to my dismay) Vanessa noticed I "tooted" (we're trying very hard not to say "fart" around her, as she liked the word too much) and made reference to it. She then started to list "Mommy toots, Daddy toots, Massa (how she refers to herself) toots, Nemo (her fish) toots." I couldn't help laughing!
We've discovered that Vanessa gets frustrated when she's not the center of the attention (I know we're in trouble, especially once Nicole is born). Often she tries to interrupt or use other tactics to get us to pay attention to her when Matt and I are trying to tell each other something. Often she tries to be silly, but our least favorite (and her preference) is when she throws her spoon or food (any tips would be appreciated). I guess the good thing is that she doesn't seem to resent when we are greeting each other affectionately (so long as she gets a hug and kiss too).
Vanessa is so excited to be a big sister (at least as far as her understanding goes). She talks a lot about "Baby Micole" and loves to help the doctor check the heartbeat. She is always wrapping up her babies in blankets (or rather, my clean dish towels) and pushing them around in her stroller. She also always feeds the babies a bottle, and I've even caught her rocking and singing to them. When she sees other (real) babies, she goes up to them and in a high(er) voice coos "Hi Baby" and gives them a hug. One time she was sitting next to a friend's baby in the car, and was talking to the baby until she got hungry. Not thinking, I passed back a box of raisins and quickly realized she was trying to share (fortunately I caught her in time). I can't wait to see her interact with Nicole, but I know she will be only too help. And I can just imagine her explaining to the world how Mommy feeds the baby!
The last thing I wanted to share (besides pictures) was how much she loves "watching Jesus." We just got The Testaments recently and Vanessa loves watching Jesus come down to teach and heal the people. She regularly demonstrates how He "heals owies". In a recent effort to keep her quiet during the sacrament (one of the times she is most talkative) I tried to explain to her how we have to be quiet so that everyone can think about Jesus. I then reminded her of the movie, an immediately she turned to the person next to her and jabbered quite loudly, and with motions, "Jesus come down...heal owies" along with a few other things I couldn't make out, then repeated all again to someone on the other side. My shushing was to no avail. Besides it was hard to be too firm with her since she was so excited about the Savior! What a kid!
This morning, as I tried to squeeze in a couple more minutes of rest before rolling my big belly out of bed, Vanessa came in, bright-eyed and full of things to say. After accepting the fact that Daddy really did have to go to work, she began to sing to herself (as she often does these days). I remember something about "baby...with a bottle...drink milk" and then it turned into the alphabet song (which she actually got most of the first 10 letters correct), all set to her own tune.
The other day (much to my dismay) Vanessa noticed I "tooted" (we're trying very hard not to say "fart" around her, as she liked the word too much) and made reference to it. She then started to list "Mommy toots, Daddy toots, Massa (how she refers to herself) toots, Nemo (her fish) toots." I couldn't help laughing!
We've discovered that Vanessa gets frustrated when she's not the center of the attention (I know we're in trouble, especially once Nicole is born). Often she tries to interrupt or use other tactics to get us to pay attention to her when Matt and I are trying to tell each other something. Often she tries to be silly, but our least favorite (and her preference) is when she throws her spoon or food (any tips would be appreciated). I guess the good thing is that she doesn't seem to resent when we are greeting each other affectionately (so long as she gets a hug and kiss too).
Vanessa is so excited to be a big sister (at least as far as her understanding goes). She talks a lot about "Baby Micole" and loves to help the doctor check the heartbeat. She is always wrapping up her babies in blankets (or rather, my clean dish towels) and pushing them around in her stroller. She also always feeds the babies a bottle, and I've even caught her rocking and singing to them. When she sees other (real) babies, she goes up to them and in a high(er) voice coos "Hi Baby" and gives them a hug. One time she was sitting next to a friend's baby in the car, and was talking to the baby until she got hungry. Not thinking, I passed back a box of raisins and quickly realized she was trying to share (fortunately I caught her in time). I can't wait to see her interact with Nicole, but I know she will be only too help. And I can just imagine her explaining to the world how Mommy feeds the baby!
The last thing I wanted to share (besides pictures) was how much she loves "watching Jesus." We just got The Testaments recently and Vanessa loves watching Jesus come down to teach and heal the people. She regularly demonstrates how He "heals owies". In a recent effort to keep her quiet during the sacrament (one of the times she is most talkative) I tried to explain to her how we have to be quiet so that everyone can think about Jesus. I then reminded her of the movie, an immediately she turned to the person next to her and jabbered quite loudly, and with motions, "Jesus come down...heal owies" along with a few other things I couldn't make out, then repeated all again to someone on the other side. My shushing was to no avail. Besides it was hard to be too firm with her since she was so excited about the Savior! What a kid!
Cuddling with her "Add-oh Bear" (little bear) and picture of Jesus (tucked under her arm). Sometimes she picks some weird things to "nuggle" with.
She LOVES to color...the trick is to keep her on the paper.
She looks very "chill" in this position, don't you think?
Hanging out at the park. It was such a beautiful day!
I think she was trying to smell the flowers...It's very hard to get her to look at the camera and smile now.
Vanessa's request every day: "Go outside...throw pinecones...go sweem (swing)!"
And lest we forget Vanessa's other great love...driving!
4 comments:
What a cute post! She is so adorable and at the cutest age. As far as help with her wanting attention, I think it just goes with the territory. She is almost 2 and at that age they think the world revolves around them. They really don't have the understanding that someone else has wants and needs. Just try to be calm and tell her that she can't throw her food. When she is older, she will figure it all out. I know it is so hard to deal with some of the things that they do at that age, but just remember, they are only little for a short time, and soon they will be TEENAGERS!!! The pictures are adorable and I can't wait to see Vanessa and Nicole and give them hugs and kisses! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Oh my gosh Lisa...she is SOO stinkin' cute. I love the post...and the pictures. She is just a doll and says some of the cutest things!! Even though the "toots" aren't the best!! It's still fun and cute!! :) We need to get together soon...let me know what works for you!!
-Becki :)
She is such a babe! I love the picture of her and Matt at the park! So cute! Love the "toot" story...they are so sweet and innocent at that age! Hope you are feeling okay! We can't wait to see that new baby! Only a few more weeks, right?
Oh my gosh, she gets cuter every day! I am going to be so sad to move and not be able to see her all the time! That's so funny that you call her sugar bug! I was just visiting family and my little niece who is almost five says she has to brush her teeth to get all the suger bugs out, I thought it was a cute name so I started calling the baby that, since we don't have a name yet! I love the sacrament story, she has such a sweet little spirit!
Post a Comment