Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pregnancy update

I had my regular prenatal check-up today, and they told me they like to do an early ultrasound just to check on the progress. So, Nicole and I got a little peek at baby #3 (no gender info yet, but you're welcome to guess anyway). It was so neat to see the baby already, and the most special part was to see (and hear) the heart beating steady.
This baby feels more and more real all the time, but I loved getting to actually see the head and hands and such. By the way, as you interpret my inkblot, this picture is a profile shot with the head at the bottom right. You can see the spine leading up the left-hand side of the shot, and the two little dots of lighter color at the top are a glimpse of the legs. I'm biased, but I think this baby is already cute! I felt bad Matt couldn't be there in person to see it!

Our little family, is, of course, quite excited about this baby, but Vanessa is so much more excited and interested than I expected. Everyday she wants to see my profile and touch my belly, exclaiming, "Mommy, your tummy is getting bigger!" She likes to look at pregnancy websites with me to see how big the baby is supposed to be and how it changes. She can't wait for this baby to be born so she can hold it and feed it. Vanessa also regularly picks names. The names change frequently, but currently she likes Alyssa for a girl, and Scott for a boy. It will be fun to see her reactions with future changes!

Nicole most of the time is content just the way things are, but she loves the idea of getting to be a big sister. She also loves taking care of her baby dolls, and names them the names of babies she knows. I think she still likes being Mommy's "baby", so hopefully we can help her adjust well to a new baby when the time comes.

8 comments:

Papa said...

Way cool. That is a pretty good ultrasound. We are very excited, and of course like the rest of your fans, looking forward to knowing if the baby will need a name more like Scott, or a name like Alyssa. I like both of these names, but can see "Vanessa" and "Alyssa" sounding alike when being called by a frazzled parent. Just 2 more weeks - can't wait to see you all again! A blog suggestion - how about a photo of Lisa, so we can be like Vanessa and say, "Your tummy is bigger." :o)

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Fun ultrasound. I'm glad both girls are excited. Too bad they have to wait so many months for the arrival. Sam is so excited too. He keep asking when I'm going to the hospital. LOL.

Megan said...

maybe I'm biased too, but I agree that baby is pretty cute! I can't wait to find out if the girls will have a baby brother or sister! I love that Vanessa is excited, so cute! I can't wait to see you guys!!!!

tia said...

Wow! This is a pretty clear ultrasound. It's amazing how quickly babies develop--aren't you still in the first trimester?
I'm guessing that since you didn't mention otherwise that you and the baby are nice and healthy. Does your doctor always do ultrasounds this early or did your family medical history prompt it at all?

Rebecca Luke said...

So exciting! Can't wait to hear more updates.

Mama said...

This is a very clear ultrasound. I still need training to make out everything so thanks for the help. The head and spine are very clear--just think how detailed it will be when the baby is bigger. I am sure Vanessa's excitement helps you be more excited. Vanessa is old enough to be a lot of help.

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

Angelene, to answer your questions,
I am just coming out of the 1st trimester and am almost 14 weeks now. I read recently that at 12 weeks, the baby is pretty much fully formed (arms, legs, face, etc.), and it really looked like a very little baby. Things look good so far, but they don't do as in-depth an ultrasound as they do later on. They baby is measuring right on track, but they told me that the due date should be more like Aug. 29th. Oh, and I think they always do an early ultrasound. And yes, I am feeling good, too. I still have a hard time finding foods that sound good, but I feel really good and feel like I can mostly keep up with stuff I have to do. It's nice to feel that way keeping up with two sick kids right now!

Mom B. said...

Cute baby! I'm so glad everything is going well! I can just see Vanessa being the proud big sister to a new little one! I'm sure Nicole will get more interested when the baby is here. Love you guys!