Thursday, October 04, 2007

Little Night-Owl, Miss Independent, and the Saint

So, it's time for an update. Life is busy, as usual, and full of good things.

Nicole is enjoying being able to move and do more. She finds her hands and mine fascinating, and loves to pull her binky out to study it. She fits in the Bumbo now, too, looking quite grown up. She hasn't quite yet mastered rolling over back to front, but I think it's only a matter of time. She hates to sit still!

Her most recent habit is to stay up as late as she can hold out. There have been a few nights I've been hopeful that she'll get to bed before 10pm, but she finds a way to wake up or stay awake (sometimes 'til midnight). I think she holds out for Daddy, hoping to get her treasured one-on-one time with him!

Vanessa is way into princesses. I mean, WAY! She can spot them from a mile away on any packaging, and loves to put on "pretty dresses." In fact, we've discovered if we refer to other things as pretty ("let's brush your teeth so you can have pretty teeth to go with your pretty dress/nightgown"), we are able to side-step the often frustrating, 2-year-old demand for independence. Or at least we hear less "no's." Vanessa has also already picked her Halloween costume. I leave you in suspense as to which princess it is...


One of Vanessa's habits lately is getting into the fridge. She wanted juice one day while I was feeding Nicole, and since I was glued to the couch, I suggested she get it out of the fridge herself, thinking it would distract her and buy me time (Not a nice trick, I know. I get desperate!) Well, she goes and comes right back with her sippy cup and the fridge door closed. I thought it was great...that is, until she discovered the egg carton, and I discovered her, 6-eggs-crushed later! Needless to say, we have a latch on now, and I'm back to teaching the concept of patience.


Matt is well into school now, and mid-terms. He loves it, but as he puts it, "the honeymoon phase is over!" I love hearing about his different classes and what he's learning and reading. Although he has so much going on, Matt has been incredible. I have days where, despite how much I love our two cuties, I am ready to bolt out the door for alone time as soon as he gets home. He is so good to not only give me regular breaks, but he is just so stinkin' cute with both girls, it's no wonder they miss him all day! He also has become my "therapist," checking up on me to be sure I'm doing okay and getting enough intellectual stimulation.


As for me, I am just trying to figure out a balance. I keep relearning that there's always going to be housework, that I need playtime just as much as my girls, that hanging out with my hubbie can be my "fountain of youth," and that spiritual time doesn't always happen on its own. Life doesn't slow down, it speeds up! Still, as long as I am doing what really counts and finding joy, I keep up with it. Life is great!

8 comments:

Mom B. said...

I love the bumbo shot! They have to be the greatest invention. It's so nice to let them sit up before they are really able to on their own! Vanessa is adorable as always, and how fun to see her really be excited about being a princess! And bravo to Matt for being willing to give you a break. I'll bet it is a break for him to spend time with his girls! Sure hope you get to sleep sometime soon! Love you all!!!

Michelle said...

ahhh lisa, it was great to hear from you! i can empathize with you on so many levels...tyler is the anti-sleeper lately, too. and my husband is my superhero, just like your is for you.

nicole is so cute in that bumbo! glad you are keeping a great perspective through all of the craziness. we love you!

calls2003 said...

Hang in there Lisa! We loved your post and we think you're doing a great job! Can't wait until we move closer to ya'll in the Provo arena.
-Vince

The Jones :) said...

Cute post Lisa...I only have ONE, and I totally understand the needed alone time and "me" time!! We really need to get together, so the kids can play, and we can have adult conversations!!! Nicole is getting so big, and it's been TOO long since we've seen you all!!! We'll do it!! Gotta get together!! :)
-Becki :)

Mollie said...

i agree...LIFE IS GREAT! Your family is beautiful!

christine said...

cute family, cute pics as usual.

Chelsey said...

Kamryn has been into the princesses as well. Although she has been into them for a long time now. Just like Vanessa, Kamryn loves pretty things and everything is "cute" to her. I thought about getting her a princess dress for her costume, but I decided that it is too stinkin clod for that. It has barely been in the 50's here. So I got her something a little warmer to wear for Halloween. But we should definately get together and have a Princess Party for the two princesses sometime.

Megan said...

Nicole looks so cute and happy in the bumbo, and Vanessa looks so PRETTY in her make-up!

Husbands are great for letting us get breaks!