Friday, October 12, 2007

Pee Wee's Big Freakin' Disappointment

Alright, so those who are not members of the immediate Brown family might not understand the significance of this tape. So, let me give some background. This was THE first video tape we ever owned. At the time, we were all obsessed with Pee Wee's Big Adventure, so naturally, it was the first movie we taped with our brand new VCR. My dad messed up a little on the title, and that has been a running joke amongst the kids. You can imagine my excitement when I came across this tape during our last visit home. I quickly claimed it (which wasn't hard since we were the only ones there, and Megan already wore out her claims to sentimental home objects about a year ago--Jason will attest to that as well).

Anyways, the other night I popped this classic into our VCR. I was horrified to see that Pee Wee was no where to be seen. Instead, I was watching an old episode of "Sisters" (Mom was definitely the culprit). About 5 minutes later, it switched to "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken"! I was freaking out. It didn't end there...up next was "A League of Their Own", followed by "Big". I couldn't figure out how such a family classic could be stomped on by all these "other films" that were in no way comparable to the Large Marge scene, Francis bath tub struggle, dancing on the table at the Satan's Helpers Club, and "come one Simone, let's talk about your big butt".

There was still some glimpse of happiness. Just as I was about to abandon all hope, I heard, "don't you hear no evil, don't you see know evil, you're gonna burn in hell!". The crazy chase scene through Warner Brothers Studio highlighted by long-haired, falsetto-singing guys piled on top of a moving Cadillac was still preserved. It was sweet, but still didn't make up for all the rest.

The worst part of it all, the tape was so dirty that we had to run the VCR cleaner through 19 cycles to get our VCR to work again. So long, Pee Wee.

6 comments:

Mollie said...

LOL! I totally forgot about all those scenes! We will have to look for the "Big Time" on DVD.

The Jones :) said...

LOL :) That is funny Matt...although I'm not a part of the family...my family watched that movie as well, so it was funny reading all those scenes!!! I just love how you word things and express yourself...makes me laugh!!! :)
-Becki :)

Becky J. said...

"There's no basement in the Alamo!" Love that line. Love that whole movie. (I can do a pretty good impersonation of Pee Wee's dance on top of the bar.) :)

Megan said...

Mollie, I have the "Big Time" on DVD, I don't remember if I have it or if I gave it to Mom and Dad, I'll have to check.

Matt, I'm so sorry it was taped over, what a bummer! It was probably because we put it in slow motion for the Large Marge scene so many times that we couldn't even watch it anymore!!! I'll try to find my DVD and bring it up at Christmas, then we can all talk about Simone's big butt!

Michelle said...

doh! i remember having that same, horrific realization as i tried to watch it at mom & dad's once lately. sadly, i think i am to blame for a league of their own and big :(

on a brighter note...i just saw that "la bamba" dvd is only 5.50 at target!

lol about simone's big butt..totally forgot about that one!

Mom B. said...

Oh, I'm sorry that the movie was ruined and that your VCR got so dirty. I guess that is to be expected with our original tape. How long ago was that?!? I'll bet we can find it somewhere on DVD now! I'll keep my eyes open.