Friday, February 01, 2008

President Hinckley's Viewing

Yesterday, we had the blessing of attending President Hinckley's viewing. I would just like to share a little about our experience:

The viewing was originally going to be held at the church administration building, but got changed to the conference center. It was interesting because rather than having everyone go straight to the hall of the prophets where President Hinckly lay, the path they had designated wound throughout the conference center. We first walked through the main floor of the seating area. They had hymns playing which brought a wonderful spirit. As I walked, I looked down at the pulpit and remebered all the inspired words that President Hinckley has shared to the world. I remembered being in attendence during the dedicatory session of the conference center. It was before my mission during a very important developmental time for my testimony. I can remember being overcome by the Spirit as we all sang "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet". I knew at that time that he was a prophet.

Then, we walked through some of the foyers and saw stained glass artwork of the first vision, paintings of Christ, and paintings of Joseph Smith. I thought about President Hinckley unshakable testimony of the restoration, his great love and admiration for the prophet Joseph Smith, and his lifelong service to our Lord Jesus Christ. I thought about the great joy he must have felt to be able to see his Savior, to thank him for his great sacrifice, and receive the approval of his Master for the mission he completed as our leader.

We then entered the hall of the prophets and saw his casket, decorated beatifully with numerous boquets of flowers and plants. His body guards still stood their post, protecting the body of the man I'm sure they had all grown to love so much. President Hinckley looked so much at peace, dressed all in white. He had the look of a man who truly has confidence in the presence of the Lord; one who has no blemishes. I had very mixed emotions as I looked at him. It really hit me how much I will miss the feeling of security that comes from knowing that a man of such humility and capability is leading us. I will miss his inspiring words and example, and his great sense of urgency about the work. I also felt so happy that he can finally rest the body that he has worn out in the service of the Lord.

As we left the hall of the prophets, we were lead again through the seating area, where his son, Elder Hinckley, was shaking hands and thanking those who came for their prayers and condolences. Someone said to him, "I bet you wish he was still here with us". In the optimistic spirit of his father, Elder Hinckley smiled and replied, "Well, it wasn't my choice either way". I thought of the great legacy of optimism and the "carry on" attitude President Hinckley has left all of us.

When we came out of the seating area, I saw through the window the roof of the tabernacle gleaming in the sun. I remembered reading President Hinckley biography and learning about his wonderful respect and gratitude for those who went before. He has done so much to preserve our history; from the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, the Nauvoo temple, Cove Fort, and most recently the tabernacle. I thought of all the temples and chapels he has had built. He did not leave one piece of business unfinished.

As we left the conference center, I thought about the magnificence of the building itself; all the lives that have been blessed by attending conference within its walls; the wonderful contributions to the arts that have been performed there; the opportunity it provided to all those who came for for the Olympics to learn more about the church through various performances. This one building has provided so much to the world, and yet, it represents only a small part of the blessings President Hinckley has left us with.

I am truly grateful to the Lord for allowing me to live at this time when I was able to learn from and feel loved by such a man. Seeing his body and experiencing all that I did gave me a small incling of what I might feel if I can live my life in such a way that I will have a clean conscience before my maker. Although President Hinckley is now gone, what he has left has inspired me more than ever to become the man the Lord and my family need me to be.

6 comments:

tia said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I live too far away to attend the viewing myself so I appreciate being able to "see" things through your eyes.

Michelle said...

what an amazing spirit you felt and must have been there for all. thank you so much for taking us on the walk with you, and sharing your feelings & insights at every step. i agree with angelene - thanks for letting us be there through your great writing. love you!

Mom B. said...

Wow Matt, you have such a gift for conveying your thoughts and feelings in the written word! I felt as though I were right there with you at the viewing! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

As I am about to leave for his funeral, your thoughts brought me feelings of love and peace, and it will be easier to say goodbye now.

Mama said...

I agree with everyone else. Thank you for sharing your experience of the viewing since we couldn't attend. I felt I was walking along by your side. I was encouraged to be a better person as I listened to the funeral proceeedings of this great man who was such an example of service. He was so positive even when he challenged us to stand a little taller and to raise the bar. Some tears were shed then as Papa and I expressed the fact that he was the prophet we listened to as we were raising our children when they made very important decisions in their lives. We are happy he can be with his wife again but will miss him. Today in testimony meeting most people shared some way in which Pres. Hinckley had touched their lives. Tears were flowing and then we closed with "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet" and I couldn't even sing the words until the 3rd verse. I always feel the spirit stronger with music. I have been very uplifted this weekend.

Megan said...

My heart is full, what a great post. While reading it, I actually felt like I was there, experiencing it all for myself! Thanks Matt!

Jeanette said...

It was very nice to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!